Monday, November 3, 2014

Halloween Stories

This week I wanted to tie in a Halloween story with talking about characters in stories and using adjectives to describe the characters. For First Grade I picked The Perfect Pumpkin Pie by Denys Cazet. I stumbled across the book at my public library and I am a fan. It is a great story to read out loud. You can do a fun voice for the ghost and he always uses rhymes. There are 3 distinct characters so it easy to get 1st graders to talk about them. The illustrations get the children's attention as well as the story.
Perfect Pumpkin Pie (Hardcover)



My 2nd book to read about Halloween was The Widow's Broom and we read it because basically the wireless was down so I had a good excuse to enjoy a good story. The Widow's Broom is by Chris Van Allsburg so you are guaranteed a spooky and strange story. This isn't a Halloween story per se but it involves a witch's broom.  His illustrations of the witch falling from the broom are fantastic and one of the reason I truly like reading hisThe Widow's Broom (Illustrated) (Reinforced Hardcover) books because the art is as good as the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment